We will each make up our own mind about each decision without reference to a shared dogma or ideology.
- Integrity. Decisions will be made in an open and understandable manner. Information will be made available even when we make mistakes, and everyone will have the opportunity to influence decisions.
- Positivity. We will look for solutions, involving others in the discussions, not just describe problems.
- Creativity. Use new, or borrowed, ideas from within The Alliance and the wider community to refresh what we do and how we do it.
- Respect. Understand that everyone has an equal voice and is worth listening to.
- Equality. We will value diversity and seek to ensure a balance of members both in the Leadership Team and in the candidates, we select to stand for election.
- Do No Harm. We will not make any decision that we believe will have a negative effect on our children now and for the future generations of children that follow.
We will adhere to these values by challenging ourselves and each other to:
- Avoid identifying ourselves so personally with a position that this in itself excludes constructive debate.
- Being prepared to be swayed by the arguments of others and admitting mistakes.
- Be willing and able to participate in rational debate leading to a conclusion.
- Understand the value of constructive debate.
- Accept that you win some, you lose some; it’s usually nothing personal and there’s really no point in taking defeats to heart.
- Maintain confidentially where requested and agree when it will be expected.
- Share leadership and responsibility and take time to communicate the intention of, and the approach to, the work we undertake.
- Have confidence in, and adhere to, the mechanisms and processes of decision-making that we establish, accepting that the decisions of the majority are paramount.
- Sustain an intention to involve each other and others rather than working in isolation.
- Trust and have confidence and optimism in other people’s expertise, knowledge and intentions. Talk to each other not about each other.